Best Practice: Content
Get the field and product marketing teams involved early as you start thinking and cataloging the type of content needed to help support the outcome journey road map being building. The goal is to align the marketing content with the key outcome-based messaging pitched by sales. In short, marketing themes should closely align with your organization’s Outcome Chains Link Group structure.
As you catalog the types of content available, you will likely uncover some key gaps where content is not available. Depending on the orientation of your Outcome Chain, engage with the marketing team to help uncover and develop the specific content needed to illustrate the business case presented in your Outcome Chain.
Business Outcome Focused Content Development
Marketing’s content should be developed and organized based on how it fits into sales’ outcome-based messaging. Sales processes vary by product line, company size, go-to-market segment, geography, and industry. Ideal content should
- Identify and address the top business challenges faced by the line of business
- Storyline the business implications and benefits to be derived from tackling these challenges
- Connect all these back to the specific product or service offerings
As such, customer case studies and business case white papers are great for illustrating and connecting the dots on how your product and service offerings can deliver the business outcomes.
Identifying Content and Knowledge Sources
Familiarize yourself with your organization’s content and knowledge management systems. Sales and marketing content are commonly located within the following:
- Content management systems (ex. Sharepoint, Alfresco, Jive)
- Online file sharing systems (ex. Dropbox, Box, OneDrive)
- Video repositories (ex. Brightcove, YouTube, Vimeo, Brainshark)
- Your company’s website
- Internal wikis and web portals
- Legacy sales enablement solutions
- Salesforce and other CRM platforms (including social media streams like Chatter)
Content Management Systems
We recommend integrating Outcome Chains with existing content or knowledge management systems. All web-based content can be retrieved via URLs within Outcome Chains platform, so attaching the original source URL from the content management system can ensure that content attached in OC is auto-refreshed whenever the source content is updated in the content management system.